Sunday, May 3, 2009

Mmmmm... Pecan Pesto.

On a whim, because the neighbor was getting rid of a bunch of railroad ties, we decided to put in a raised garden. I went to the nursery, got more tomato plants, three types of squish (squash in my world - I think it sounds cooler), jalapeno, bell and Serrano pepper plants and cilantro and basil. Stuck 'em all in the dirt/compost and then it FINALLY rained in TX. The garden is flourishing. :) Yesterday I noticed the basil getting pretty tall so I chopped it off and turned it into pesto. 'Course I just sorta threw it all together but this is roughly the recipe.

4 cups fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup toasted pecans
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt

Toast the pecans by broiling them on a cookie sheet for about one minute. Watch them closely. You want them to be browned but not blackened. Combine the first four ingredients in a blender. Blend until paste forms. Add both cheese and salt. Blend until smooth. If the paste is too thick, add more olive oil. Toss pesto with pasta until lightly coated. Enjoy!;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmmmm! when's dinner?